Friday, April 13, 2012

Welcome to my life

I have created this blog all on my own. The excitement I feel in saying that is almost overwhelming, for there are not many things I can say that about. It seems I am becoming more and more dependent on others to manage the most trivial of pursuits. But there was a time when I accomplished nearly nothing without the help of others, so I have come to treasure every small victory.


The purpose of this blog is to serve as a therapeutic outlet. Throughout the many years I have lived with Rheumatoid Arthritis, I have never once written about it. I have talked about it, read information about it, listened to advice about it, railed against it, been totally pissed off about it, suffered depression because of it, been in unimaginable pain because of it, fought against it, pleaded with God to remove it, ignored it, coddled it, and, well, I could probably fill pages with other descriptions and varying actions concerning it, but as I said, I've never put pen to paper, so to speak, and written any words about it.


I don't know if anyone else will share this exercise with me, or if I will do it alone. I welcome one and all, whether you want to learn a bit about the disease, or just out of curiosity, or if you would like to share your own thoughts about it. Please use this blog in any way you wish, as long as it's legal. Perhaps we can learn from one another in that way. My purpose is not to inform or share any medical advice, because I have no expertise in that area. My expertise lies in the fact that I have lived with  the disease for more than half my life. 


Rheumatoid can be deadly, it can be mild. It can go into remission. It can bring you to your knees. Of course, once you're down there, you may have to stay until someone comes along who can raise you back up, especially if you're on a ski slope. Oh, memories!


What I most want to accomplish by this blog is to remind myself, and hopefully others, that there is a humorous side to RA. It certainly isn't always evident, and sometimes it disappears completely. But every so often, when I least expect it, it will crop up, and I am overcome with the need to laugh. And, as they say, whoever 'they' are, laughter is the best medicine. Maybe if we laugh together, we can banish the pain to a place where it will hide and cringe like the coward it is.


That's it for today. It's a start. A beginning. I hope to add a little something every week, but I'm not going to guarantee it. One important lesson that RA has taught me is to be flexible with my time. It's the only thing left to me that even remotely has a chance of being flexible, so it's all good.


Harmony

No comments:

Post a Comment